Monday, February 24, 2014

Paper Makes a Difference...

The type of paper you use for a project really does make a difference.

Recently, I have been playing with the Ranger Specialty Stamping Paper. This is a matte coated paper.

Here are some differences I discovered.


 This first card I used just basic white cardstock to stamp the center image. I colored the flower stamp with Distress Markers (Worn Lipstick, Barn Door and Peeled Paint) and stamped. I repeated the process for each stamp. Then I stamped the sentiment with Ranger's Archival Ink. The last step was to ink the background with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink using the foam blending tool.  This blended and muted the flowers, but i really liked the flowers before I inked the background.



For the second card, I started with the Specialty Stamping Paper.  I stamped the same images. After stamping the images, I dried them with a heat tool. Then I inked the background. This time the flowers are brighter and crisper. The background is a little lighter and smoother because of the coating. I really liked how this turned out.
I created a few more cards using both the basic white cardstock and the Specialty Stamping Paper.















These two cards have basic white cardstock for the bases and the centers are Specialty Stamp Paper. The images on the cardstock are more muted, while the images on the Stamping Paper are more vibrant.

 
 For the next two cards I used the white cardstock bases and Stamping Paper for the center, but I only colored the image one time. After stamping the image, I sprayed it with a little water and stamped it again. I like how the image turned out. It created a softer look, but the image is still crisp.


1 comment:

  1. It's amazing the difference a paper makes! When I was first getting started, I was having the hardest time getting good, clean stamped images. So much so that I nearly quit altogether. Then I watched a video on youtube that suggested stamping, coloring, painting etc on a "higher quality" paper and it made ALL the difference. Now it's the first thing I tell anyone getting into "the craft" lol. It's SOOOO much about the paper. Great article and pictures! Thank you!

    Signed: A Paper Snob, and proud of it :)

    ReplyDelete